Workforce wellbeing package

Workforce wellbeing package

COVID-19 Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) Support

EAP Services

EAP wellbeing support services will continue to be available until June 2023.  

These services are available to all staff in state and state-integrated schools, kura and Early Learning Services (including Kōhanga Reo, Kindergartens, Playcentres and home-based services).

There are up to three confidential individual one-on-one counselling sessions available. 

There will be no charge for these services. They are not intended to replace existing services already offered to staff, but rather to be in addition to the current provision for a specific period of time.

Call 0800 327 669 or visit the EAP website.

What is the Employee Assistance Programme (EAP)?

EAP is an employment-based programme that people can access to help them deal with personal and/or work-related problems.  It offers free and confidential assessments, short-term counselling, referrals, and follow-up services. EAP is commonly offered by employers given their responsibilities to support health and safety or wellness of their employees under the Health and Safety in Employment Act.

Are the counselling sessions confidential?

All communications and discussions with EAP are strictly confidential for the one-to-one counselling sessions. No identifiable details of individuals that contact EAP Services will be shared with the Ministry or the early learning service, school or kura.

Who is eligible to use the EAP services?

All staff in state and state-integrated schools, kura, Early Learning Centres (including Kōhanga Reo, Kindergartens, Playcentres and home-based services).

How can EAP services be accessed?

Including over the phone and online, the EAP website will have details about the services they offer at different Alert Levels.

There are two ways to book an appointment:

What EAP services are available?

Up to three confidential counselling sessions.

More information: Employee Assistance Programmes | EAP Services Limited

When can I access these EAP services?

Services are available until 30 June 2023.

Are the EAP services culturally responsive?

The support will be culturally responsive in line with Kaupapa Māori / Te Ao Māori.

Members of family and whānau are welcome to join and participate in counselling sessions.

What other COVID-19 wellbeing support and resources are already available for the education workforce to access?

We have updated the wellbeing page to include information that will be helpful for you and the wellbeing of children and young people learning from home and their whānau.

Parents, teachers and support staff can reassure children and young people that everyone is working together, to help people throughout the country stay healthy and to limit the spread of this virus.

As things change, families and whānau will also want to stay connected with you. For some children, young people and their whānau things may be challenging. As just one teacher, you might not have all the answers you need, but working collectively can help. Work with parents, other school staff, iwi, social and health agencies, and other services in your community.

As the Government’s lead agency, the Ministry of Health has an extensive range of specific COVID-19 information and tools to support wellbeing and hauora. Accessed through their website, this includes links and details of support organisations, self-help tools and resources, as well as advice for at-risk groups.

COVID-19: Mental health and wellbeing resources - Ministry of Health

How does this support differ from what is being offered by ECE providers, kura and schools?

As the responsibility to offer services such as Employee Assistance Counselling Programmes (EACP) is with employers (ECE providers, schools and kura), this EAP service is intended to provide short-term supplementary services. 

You will be able to access this additional new EAP support, as well as what is offered by your school, kura or Early Learning Service. If additional support is needed beyond the three EAP counselling sessions, we encourage you to ask your early learning service, kura or ECE provider what support they can then offer.

Further information

Your local Ministry office should be your first point of contact if you have questions or if you would like more information.

Local Ministry offices